Dann Singe Ich Ein Lied Für Dich

I just returned from a fabulous, week-long family vacation in Germany. I have a “thing” for Germany; if you search my personal blog for “foreign fetish” you can read all about it, but I digress. For me, music in Germany has always been very powerful. Let me explain.

The first time I went to Germany, I did so at the age of fourteen (okay, I’ll just give you the year as a reference. It as 1983.) as a part of a month-long interchange program with twelve other Americans. I stayed with a girl my age (and her family), just as she had done with my family in the States, the summer before. I was fascinated that the German teens listened to much of the same stuff I was listening to. That summer, “China Girl” by David Bowie was huge over there; I remember vividly giggling with my German and American friends as we told each other to “Shut your moussssssse.”

Also big in Germany that summer? Peter Schilling’s German version of “Major Tom”, “Völlig Losgelöst”…and Supertramp. (I know, right? You either love ‘em or you hate ‘em.)

During my month overseas, I became very much acquainted with Neue Deutsche Welle. Before I flew home, the girl I stayed with made me a NDW mixtape, which included songs I loved like “Sommersprossen” (by UKW) (and by the way, that video is totally hilarious if you care to click), “Da Da Da” (by Trio), and “Carbonara” (by Spliff). I wore that cassette tape out.

As for Supertramp, I hardly ever heard them after I got home because I was riding the 80′s wave, but on the rare occasions that I did, the music swept me right back to that summer in Germany.

As luck would have it, Germany has apparently been in some kind of time warp, because when I was there last week, three magical things happened.

First, while lunching in a small cafe in a small down, the kitchen was jamming to the greatest hits of–you guessed it–Supertramp.

Second, while visiting the Viktualienmarkt, Munich’s famous farmer’s market, I stepped into a shop just in time to hear “Carbonara”. I think that event caused me to spend about twice as much as I would have, had Elton John been playing, but I’m not completely sure about that.

Third, as we were flying down the autobahn on our last full day in Germany, Peter Schilling came on the radio, singing “Völlig Losgelöst”–in that happy tone of his, that makes you want to snap your fingers to the beat and sing along with him, even though it’s one of the most depressing songs ever.

I hope that the next time I get back to Germany, the perfect trifecta finds me again.

In the meantime, enjoy this playlist of awesome 80′s songs that were hits in both English AND German: “Der Kommissar”, “99 Luftballons” (“99 Red Balloons”), and of course, “Major Tom”.

(“Völlig Losgelöst” wasn’t on playlist.com, so you’ll have to click on the link above to hear/watch it on Youtube.)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
27 Responses to Dann Singe Ich Ein Lied Für Dich
  1. Motpg
    August 22, 2010 | 5:56 am

You have just made my musical day! I love you. Perfect playlist. I’ve been trying to find an excuse to use a video of Falco doing Der Kommissar on my blog for ages.
    Motpg´s last [type] ..Generational Angst Gap

August 22, 2010 | 6:20 am

Oh! Well I love you as well. :)
    Thanks for making MY day!
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Above God And Everybody

August 22, 2010 | 7:04 am

great playlist, Melisa and thanks for sharing your trifecta from your vacation!!!

(All of these songs were included on our “8th grade reunion” mixed CD.)

That is one of the magical things I love most about music… it acts as a time machine!!

August 22, 2010 | 7:23 am

I’m swooning, SWOONING I tell ya! You’ve hit 2 of my all-time favorite songs from any year or genre (Der Kommissar & Major Tom) and 99 Luft Balloons is just the fluffer in my fluffernutter sandwich.

I lived 4 years in Deutschland and miss it terribly; love reading your posts & reminiscing!

Danke Schoen!
    Mari´s last [type] ..Im not dead yet

August 22, 2010 | 7:25 am

Wait, you had an 8th grade reunion??? I have never heard of that! (But it sounds like whomever was in charge had impeccable taste in music! LOL)
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Above God And Everybody

• oh_pook
      August 22, 2010 | 6:42 pm

Hahaha!! *blushes*

My friend Bill and I have been the “committee” for each of them! (We have one every 5 years and did a Mix CD for our 10th and 20th).

He’s my cohort in music… this same grade school we went to has a Music Trivia Night fundraiser each year… talk about fun!

Now I need to hunt down those CD’s (or shoot an email to Bill)

August 22, 2010 | 7:25 am

Aw Mari, ich liebe dich. :)

And…bitte schoen!
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Above God And Everybody

7. ascapecodturns
    August 22, 2010 | 7:26 am

Hahaha, love Supertramp. It is so great how one song can blast you right back to a moment in time!

August 22, 2010 | 7:30 am

I love ‘em too, Sue…it’s funny, I don’t make an effort to listen to them, but I sure love when I happen to catch a tune (or six, as was the case at lunch last week!)!!
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Above God And Everybody

9. Kim
    August 23, 2010 | 10:03 pm

Oh, I LOVE Der Kommisar! And Supertramp is awesome…love “Raining Again”! That was out about that time, too :)
    Kim´s last [type] ..Alive &amp Kicking

10. DiPaola Momma
    August 25, 2010 | 3:23 am

Confession… I used to be able to sing 99 Red Balloons IN German.. now I pretty much fake it to make my kids think I’m totally cool.

August 25, 2010 | 4:41 am

Kim: I really do love Supertramp too: just not on my iPod, I think. :)

Lara: ME TOO! hahahaha
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Ill Tell You Whats Yummy- Cold Spaghetti and Room Temperature Snowballs

12. They* Made Eating Fun.
    November 18, 2012 | 5:41 pm

[...] One day, we ate lunch at this lovely cafe. This was the place where the kitchen crew was listening to a Supertramp marathon. [...]

13. http://dichthuatsakura.com/
    February 12, 2013 | 1:56 am

Lời đầu tiên Công ty dịch thuật quốc tế Nhật Bản Sakura xin chân thành cảm ơn Quý
    khách hàng đã trao cho chúng tôi sự tin tưởng, trách
    nhiệm và sự kỳ vọng, đặt ra những tiêu chuẩn,
    yêu cầu khắt khe nhất cho dịch vụ biên phiên
    dịch. Cảm ơn Quý khách hàng trong suốt thời gian qua đã
    ủng hộ Công ty dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp Kết Nối và cho chúng
    tôi có cơ hội được đảm nhiệm
    những dự án lớn, niềm tin của khách hàng gửi
    trao cho Công ty dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp Kết nối chính là
    động lực để chúng tôi khẳng định năng lực của mình.

Đến với Sakura Translation quý vị chắc
    chắn sẽ cảm nhận được phong cách làm chuyên nghiệp, chính xác và hoàn toàn Châu Âu.

Bởi, cán bộ của Sakura Translation là những Phiên – Dịch thuật đã nhiều năm công tác
    trong các cơ quan ngoại giao, viện ngôn ngữ, phòng công chứng của Việt Nam và nước ngoài.

Đến với Sakura Translation quý vị sẽ không phải:

+ Thất vọng với chất lượng của bản dịch ( độ
    chính xác, văn phong,…)
    + Mất hàng giờ để xếp hàng chờ đợi,
    khó chịu với cách phục vụ
    + ……

Bởi, Sakura Translation phục vụ quý vị:

+ Chu đáo, tận tình 24/24 ( cả ngày thứ 7, Chủ nhật, lễ, Tết,…)
    + Nhận – giao bản dịch tại nhà, cơ quan,…
    + Dịch lấy ngay có chứng thực nhà nước
    + Hỗ trợ thủ tục công chứng, xác nhận chữ ký với các cơ
    quan nhà nước,…

Sakura Translation sẽ rất lấy làm vinh dự được phục vụ và hợp tác
    lâu dài với quý cơ quan, quý khách hàng mọi lúc,
    mọi nơi để cùng phát triển.

Xin trân trọng cảm ơn.

14. I’d been encouraged this site by using my own nephew. I am don’t guaranteed whether this particular organize will be created by methods of him when nobody find out these kinds of specific about my own trouble. That you are outstanding! Thanks a lot!

15. Useful info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site by accident, and I am stunned why this twist of fate didn’t took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

16. Dich vu chuyen nha
    May 19, 2013 | 10:20 pm

I do accept as true with all the ideas you have presented on your post. They are very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for beginners. Could you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

17. orquesta sinfonica
    October 18, 2013 | 11:59 am

An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a co-worker who had been conducting a little research on this.
    And he actually bought me lunch due to the fact that
    I found it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this….
    Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for
    spending some time to discuss this topic here on your web
    site.
    orquesta sinfonica´s last [type] ..orquesta sinfonica

18. resources for rappers and singers
    March 6, 2014 | 4:48 pm

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after
    I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr…
    well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to
    say excellent blog!
    resources for rappers and singers´s last [type] ..resources for rappers and singers

19. lubin
    March 12, 2014 | 8:03 pm

I really like what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and
    reporting! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our blogroll.
    lubin´s last [type] ..lubin

20. Home
    July 24, 2014 | 1:41 am

It’s actually a good and also useful item of information and facts. I am just thankful which you embraced this helpful data about. Make sure you stop us updated in this way. We appreciate you expressing.

21. distant
    September 29, 2014 | 1:34 am

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for
    this site? I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
    distant´s last [type] ..distant

22. adidas tshirt
    August 14, 2015 | 1:20 am

Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this website regularly, this web page is truly good and the people
    are really sharing fastidious thoughts.
    adidas tshirt´s last [type] ..adidas tshirt

23. Boise Startup Community
    February 10, 2016 | 8:47 am

What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely
    helpful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & assist other users like its aided me.
    Great job.
    Boise Startup Community´s last [type] ..Boise Startup Community

24. 90Jeannie
    November 29, 2016 | 10:38 am

Hi admin !! I read your content everyday and i must say you have hi quality content
    here. Your website deserves to go viral. You need initial boost only.
    How to go viral fast? Search for: forbesden’s tools
    90Jeannie´s last [type] ..90Jeannie

25. 86Liza
    August 26, 2017 | 5:03 am

I see you don’t monetize your site, don’t waste your traffic, you
    can earn extra bucks every month because you’ve got
    hi quality content. If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for: best adsense alternative Wrastain’s tools
    86Liza´s last [type] ..86Liza