Hole: Nobody’s Daughter

Okay; I’m a huge fan of Courtney Love. HYOOGE. I’ve loved her music from Pretty on the Inside to Live Through This and Celebrity Skin (in the interest of full disclosure, I did not get America’s Sweetheart). I pulled for her through her days with Kurt Cobain, when she was much-maligned as the Yoko to his Lennon.

When I heard about Nobody’s Daughter I was intrigued … after the wringer that Ms. Love went through, I wasn’t sure what to expect. But when I heard that first song, I was hooked and downloaded the whole damn thing.

That first song (Skinny Little Bitch) is one of my favorite running songs and I wonder who she’s singing to – perhaps her former self? This is a return to the early version of Hole, edgy and unapologetic, and I love it. There is a wall of sound with the fuzzy guitars and heavy drums, which always make me happy.

I also love Pacific Coast Highway which brings easy comparisons to Malibu. I can’t help but imagine that there is a bit of Kurt in this song ( … I knew a boy he came from the sea / he was the only boy / who ever knew the truth / about me …).

The money shot for me is Letter to God, where she really lays it out and says the things that I think her fans want to hear ( … I never wanted to be / the person you see / can you tell me who I am / I always wanted to die / but you kept me here alive / can you tell me who I am … ). She’s unvarnished and raw, and anything else would be a disappointment.

Nobody’s Daughter provides what feels like a moment of truth and honesty from one of alternative rock’s most underappreciated ladies.

7 Responses to Hole: Nobody’s Daughter
  1. April Tara
    September 6, 2010 | 8:02 am

She’s one of those “hot messes” that I really wish could pull her life back together. I feel for her with everything she’s been through but I’m glad she can at least channel all of that into creating music.
    April Tara´s last [type] ..Ping is NOT a MySpace killer…yet

2. Kim @ Not Your Typical Southern Belle
    September 6, 2010 | 5:48 pm

Not much of a Hole fan, but I’ll definitely want to check out at least the songs you liked, since we like so many of the same sounds and styles.
    Kim @ Not Your Typical Southern Belle´s last [type] ..Crisis averted

3. Marrisa Spears
    September 7, 2010 | 4:45 am

you guys have a great mix of women, yet no black women or hiphop/r&b fans/reviews. i expected more when i clicked this site. oh well i guess.

• Ri
      September 7, 2010 | 8:32 am

Hey, Marrisa! I’ve thought a lot about your comment. True, we have no Music Mamas of color – yet. We do, however, have hiphop and R&B loving Mamas, as you’ll see in their bios.

Having said that, I also must say that in putting this site together, I really wanted to just get a bunch of my music lovin’ friends together to talk music. They weren’t chosen to write to any certain demographic, nor did I screen their musical tastes for balance.

In my nearly 43 years on this Earth I’ve learned that I’m never going to please everyone, and I’m sorry that in this case I appear not to have pleased you. We’re only about two dozen posts in, though, and my plan is to expand to an even dozen writers. No telling what the future may hold.

It would be great if you’d continue to visit and see if you
      like us for what we are rather than exclude us for what we aren’t. Either way, I do thank you for stopping by and appreciate your input! :)

• Ester
      February 4, 2012 | 3:07 pm

I loved that snerk pic but as awyals left it to the clever ones able to do captions!! Yay!!!! Enjoy tracking Santa and your mulled wine!!!!! Have a brilliant Christmas – and of course you must sample the blackberry whiskey for Santa – it’s only polite!! Take carex

• ebujweito
      February 5, 2012 | 9:44 am
  4. Tim
    September 7, 2010 | 4:30 pm

I like some of Hole’s music especially their old stuff. I heard good reviews on this cd and now that I’ve heard a Music Mamas take on it I may just have to check it out. Courtney Love though is a mess albeit a talented mess.