Buckle Up: Mohombi’s Taking You On A Bumpy Ride!

I am all about catchy pop tunes. The lyrics don’t matter much to me in the beginning; it’s the music itself that gets me hooked. That’s probably why I think of Moby’s “Southside” as a happy song when it’s clearly not (it has always put a smile on my face!), but that’s a whole other story. Wait…where was I? Oh yes, catchy pop tunes.

A new artist was recently brought to my attention, and I have to say that “catchy” is only one of many fabulous words I’d use to describe his first single. His name is Mohombi. He is the 23-year-old son of a Swedish mother and a Congolese father, and he is a song writer, singer, dancer, and “superstar performer”, according to his official bio. His music, according to the same bio, combines African influences with a Global pop sensibility, and if you know me, you know what that means…it’s right up MY alley. When I first heard him, I thought of a sweeter, bouncier Sean Paul, if that even makes sense. (No? Never mind then.)

“Bumpy Ride” is the name of his first single, and it is F-U-N.

Okay, so I watched that video (literally) about ten times before I started paying attention to the lyrics.

“I wanna boom bang bang with your body yo
Were gonna rough it up before we take it slow
Girl lemme rock you rock you like a rodeo
(Its gonna be a bumpy ride)”

Oy vey. But I get it. As a (*cough cough*) 41-year-old fan (SUPERfan) of current pop music, I constantly walk the fine line between “Ack! Kids these days!” and “Yeah, I know, I know; this is how lyrics ARE these days…”. So I get over the innuendo and just enjoy the music, and isn’t that what artists want you to do anyway: enjoy?

Speaking of that, for added enjoyment, Mohombi has even put up an instructional video so you can learn the “Bumpy Ride dance”. I loved it; he’s adorable. And now, thanks to him, when you see me in the club (I wish!), I’ll be the one looking just like the girls in the video. Um, sort of.

“Bumpy Ride” is available on iTunes NOW (I bought it!). You can follow Mohombi on Twitter, too!

12 Responses to Buckle Up: Mohombi’s Taking You On A Bumpy Ride!
    September 14, 2010 | 9:48 am

LOL – love it! Easy on the ears AND eyes :)
    Mari´s last [type] ..September 14- Love

September 14, 2010 | 10:46 am

Okay, even though I wouldn’t normally listen to this genre (and oy vey is right! lol) this is WAY fun. And agreed – he is adorable. I even enjoyed the video more after watching his “instructional vid”. Too friggin’ cute!

(And, notfornothin’ but he has a damn good voice – there’s one note in the middle that he holds that’s got beautiful tone!

• Melisa
      September 14, 2010 | 5:54 pm

Ri: I KNOW! FUN, right?? I can’t wait to hear more from him.
      Melisa´s last [type] ..Keeping Their Word

3. LISA
    September 14, 2010 | 11:44 am

OMG I LOVE this. Where did you find this song originally? Is it getting air play?
    As for the lyrics, I will try to keep from listening to explicit things when my kids are around but honestly I don’t think its “kids these days” because really music has been about sec and drugs for decades. Some are more ‘coded’ than some of the songs today but there are times when I’ve got the “easy listening” station on in the car bopping along when I get a request from the back seat to change the channel because a song isn’t “appropriate” and I have to really listen to catch what my little man’s issue it. One of the songs that got this reaction was actually a Barry Manilow song!!! (Copa Cabana)
    LISA´s last [type] ..Timmy Time to Premier on Playhouse Disney

• Melisa
      September 14, 2010 | 5:56 pm

Lisa: Let’s say a little birdie brought it to my attention. :) It’s a brand-new single so I’m gonna hope hope hope that the radio stations pick it up and play it. (but I bought it already, on iTunes, so I can listen to it on repeat! :) )

P.S. You’re right about the lyrics. I have a future post about that, coming up. :)
      Melisa´s last [type] ..Keeping Their Word

4. LISA
    September 15, 2010 | 2:56 pm

that’s one smart birdie!
    i came back again to listen to it today!! :)
    LISA´s last [type] ..Theres No Greater Joy

September 15, 2010 | 9:58 pm

I totally know what you mean about a sweeter Sean Paul.

Mohombi is so cute and I love this song!

• Melisa
      September 16, 2010 | 12:14 pm

Thanks Tiff! I was hoping I didn’t sound like a total idiot! :)
      Melisa´s last [type] ..O- I Vlogged

6. Trish Tumbaga
    January 12, 2011 | 6:59 pm

I’m still learning from you, while I’m making my way to the top as well. I absolutely love reading everything that is posted on your website.Keep the posts coming. I liked it!

7. lisa juliette
    March 14, 2011 | 8:44 pm

lov it lov it make my body move yup yup yup…
    can not get enough really…..waiting to hear more.Bumpy ride is just the start of great Music…
    im 45 and this ws a great birthday present ,,from a new england friend from India..lov you Appy…