Rock Of Ages Rocks.

I’m not the type of person to be stuck on one musical genre, I’m open to lots of different things. That’s not to say that I don’t have my favorites. Most people who know me personally will vouch for the fact that I’m a total 80′s freak. In fact, my best friend (who lives a couple of states away) sent me a text the other day that said:

“Pretty good 80′s streak playing on the Muzak right now, including Wham. I always think of you when I hear Wham.”

Sweet, right?

Sure it was. But I am such an 80′s geek that I *nearly* sent her a text back, telling her that she spelled Wham wrong. Technically, it’s Wham!

You know, with the exclamation point. But I digress.

Another favorite musical genre of mine is Broadway. Shut up.

So when we heard that “Rock of Ages”a musical set in the 80′s about a young man whose dream it is to be a rock star (cue “I Wanna Rock!”)– was coming to Chicago, added to the fact that my sister had seen it already on Broadway and highly recommended it, we excitedly bought tickets, for the matinee show this past Saturday.

It was, in a word, totally awesome.

Yeah, that’s two words. But it was. Totally. Awesome.

Showing my kids “the visual” that originally went along with the hair bands we’ve listened to since they can remember was a priceless experience, and they loved it as well.

Here’s the ROA Broadway cast, performing on the Tonys last year:

The star of the show is Constantine Maroulis, who received a Tony nomination for his ROA role (Drew) on Broadway. It was very cool to learn that he would be heading up the ROA tour. If you’re not familiar with Maroulis, he was, until ROA, most well-known for being on “American Idol”. It’s not a show I watch, but found some clips of his performances after seeing him live on Saturday. This guy has some pipes. Seriously.

I was MORE than thrilled too, by the way, to find out that MiG Ayesa is also a part of the ROA tour, in the role of Stacee Jaxx. MiG was a finalist on the tv show “RockStar: INXS” a few years back, when INXS was trying to find a replacement for the late Michael Hutchence, as if that would ever truly be possible. MiG, who came in third, was my favorite to win. *sigh*

MiG’s got a new CD coming out in a few months, so I’ll be writing more about him later.

As for “Rock of Ages”? It was so fun, so entertaining, so totally rad, you need to go and see it if it comes to your town. And if you need a date? Call me. I’d definitely see it again!

11 Responses to Rock Of Ages Rocks.
  1. Ash
    September 28, 2010 | 9:23 am

Great show. So much fun. I am really proud of Constantine for this one.

2. LISA
    September 28, 2010 | 10:39 am

ok first of all, how can you NOT be an AI fan?? I LOVE that show!!!! I also watched the INXS show but I won’t tell you that I was glad when MiG didn’t win (oops did I just say that). But he could sing so it does sound like an amazing show!!!!!!!!
    LISA´s last [type] ..Benny Marchants Conversations Missed music review

• Melisa
      September 29, 2010 | 7:42 am

You know, it’s funny: I used to love watching the auditions, but stopped for whatever reason. I’m sure I’d enjoy the show if I sat down and got into it, but I watch a few reality competition shows and, because my husband HATES them, I try to choose the ones that I really really love and want to watch so he can watch the History Channel (blech!) sometimes. :)

I’ll pretend you didn’t just diss MiG. haha
      Melisa´s last [type] ..Rock and Rainbows

3. DiPaola Momma
    September 28, 2010 | 11:09 am

I took the hubby to go see Rock Of Ages on Broadway this summer. After about four $14 beers I really enjoyed myself, mostly because of the guy two rows over who had yet to give up the ghost or the Sebastian Bach coif. We laughed harder at this guy then the show. When it came time for the compulsory Bic waving ballad he stood proud, lighter in the air. Upon swaying legs he showed his approval by tossing up the horns and shouting “Hell yeah!” as though Joe Elliot was going to magically appear because he “believed”. Staring up in doe eyed wonder, his date covertly (by that I mean blatantly) adjusted her “girls” in what I’ll assume was either a show of solidarity or a mating call. It was certainly an evening to be remembered even for me, a confirmed hair band hater. For the record I believe it a sacrilege to even attempt to replace Michael Hutchence.

• Melisa
      September 29, 2010 | 7:44 am

Lara: I was gonna try and make a joke about how that was me and my husband at the show you attended, but…never mind. haha

I was also not pleased that they tried to replace M.H., but couldn’t NOT watch because I lovelovelove INXS.
      Melisa´s last [type] ..Rock and Rainbows

4. jess
    September 28, 2010 | 1:26 pm
    September 29, 2010 | 7:44 am

Thanks for the link, Jess! I think he was on ABC-7, too, but I missed it. Stupid job. haha
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Rock and Rainbows

September 29, 2010 | 8:08 am

Love it. Not a big Constantine fan because he was overly dramatic for me, but how perfect for him to be on Broadway?! Karmically correct career choice, me thinks.

Can’t wait until the tour hits OKC!
    Mari´s last [type] ..September 29- Nature

• Melisa
      September 29, 2010 | 2:41 pm

*I* can’t wait to hear what you think about it, Mari! :)
      Melisa´s last [type] ..Rock and Rainbows

7. Toni
    September 30, 2010 | 9:42 pm

Hey, cool blog. I saw ROA last tuesday and it was awesome! We drove 5 hours just to see MiG as Stacee Jaxx and he did not disappoint. He was amazing, he brings something special to the role. I will be waiting for you blog/review when he puts his CD out.
    p.s. I was way hooked into Rockstar, American Idol not so much.