Viva ELVIS

While piddling around on my MacBook with a missing “o” key cover and listening to the dishwasher run, my email bonked at me and I discovered that Elvis had a new album out. Viva ELVIS is a companion to the Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas.

The album is a reworking of 12 Elvis hits, including Suspicious Minds, Blue Suede Shoes, That’s Alright and Heartbreak Hotel.

Now, I’m a huge Elvis fan, and I have loved him pretty much since birth. My 88-year-old grandmother still has posters of him on her bedroom wall, and she saw him at a community center in Sheffield, Ala., just before he became a big star. I liked “A Little Less Conversation” when it came out earlier in the 2000s well enough, but this? This is just too much for me.

Too much remixing. Too much techno. Too much Auto-Tune. Too much random electric guitar. Too much glitz. Too much modern music. For me, it loses what Elvis was all about: rock and soul that needed no embellishment.

Many Elvis fans will love this album (you can buy it at Amazon.com), and it does have its moments: Heartbreak Hotel’s harmonica sounds good, but then horns come in and kill the bluesy feel. Suspicious Minds starts out slow and easy and builds, but it ends up sounding like a failed Kings of Leon song.

While the Cirque show is a unique way to showcase the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll’s music with a twist, I think I’ll pass on the Viva ELVIS album in favor of my Elvis No. 1s CD and my ’68 Comeback Special DVD.

Check out the streaming tunes at MSN and let me know what you think.

7 Responses to Viva ELVIS
    November 10, 2010 | 8:19 am

Tiff, I know that was painful to write – it’s hard when music you love is distorted into something unfortunate. Great post! Made me want to dig up my Elvis today & crank up the “Suspicious Minds” (love that song!)
    Mari´s last [type] ..Finis

November 10, 2010 | 10:58 pm

Thanks, Mari. It was hard because I really wanted to like it. I just didn’t. But I love Elvis, straight up, real Elvis.

But I’m interested to know what others think of this new stuff!
    Tiffani´s last [type] ..New resource- Hearing Families

November 10, 2010 | 11:32 pm

Well, I tend to be a purist and generally wouldn’t choose a cover over the original if given the choice…(as Tiffani knows after our Twitversation tonight about Miranda Lambert butchering a John Prine song on the CMA’s. Still not over that one two and a half hours later…)

But, having said that – I listened. And I guess if I had never heard the original, I would like it. For its purpose, I think it definitely works. I actually think it might be a good way for young kids who’ve not heard Elvis to be introduced!

(But, it’s not the Elvis I remember and want to hear.)
    Ri´s last [type] ..Hey- Baby You got plans for tonight

November 13, 2010 | 10:58 am

Ri, you’re right! I think it would bring in younger listeners and introduce them to Elvis. And then they could hear the real Elvis on his Christmas album, which, you know, the holiday is just around the corner. :-)

5. Peter V
    December 30, 2010 | 3:54 am

This Album is Great. If Tom Jones can revive himself Elvis would do it 100% better. This is close, but it’s up there with the 21st Century. We would like the next generation of Kids know who this Great Man is.

6. How To Play The Guitar For Beginners
    July 3, 2014 | 6:27 pm

Hi my children new member! I would like to express that this particular blog post rocks !, wonderful composed including just about all essential infos. I want to appearance extra posts this way .

7. cofelen review
    September 3, 2014 | 11:13 am

cofelen review…

Viva ELVIS | The Music Mamas…