Adele – 21

I’m a fan of Adele, I’ve got her first disc (“19″) and I was giddy when I heard about this second one. I loved that crop of British torch singers (Adele, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Joss Stone) but as soon as they popped up and got me hooked, they stopped producing. And I was sad.

So here comes Adele with disc #2, titled “21″ to mark the age she was when she recorded it, and in a word? Wow. This woman has chops; CHOPS, I tell you! Such a singer, such a voice. How can it come out of such a young woman? I have been listening to the early single “Rolling in the Deep” for about a week now, and it was a great choice to put forward as a single, as it is sassy, smart and engaging. Her lyrics are modern but shy away from being too street. While I love Amy Winehouse for her street edge (“fuckery” is genius), Adele brings something else to the table. She’s classy and sassy and the total package.

This morning I downloaded the entire disc (officially released today), and have it on repeat. And guess what? It was as good as expected. And then it went beyond good for me. She remakes the Cure’s eponymous “Lovesong.” For thousands of girls like me, that song is a touchstone, and this reimagined version delivers what it promises. I’m loving these songs more & more with every repeat.

Love it.

7 Responses to Adele – 21
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by MariFarthing and Ri O'Laughlin, Lara DiPaola. Lara DiPaola said: Grovin' with @TheMusicMamas @MariFarthing and Adele – 21 – http://bit.ly/gYHL3Z [...]

2. singlemama_cc
    February 22, 2011 | 9:32 pm

Awesome! I love the British torch singers too, cant wait to check this one out!
    singlemama_cc´s last [type] ..“You’ve Got The Love”

February 23, 2011 | 9:33 am

Okay, so I’m late coming here. Oops. But better late than never!

I’ve heard SO MANY great things about Adele: I think you’ve convinced me to download! Good on ya! :)
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Taking Obsessive To A Whole New Level

4. Sara
    February 11, 2012 | 10:04 am

Adele’s 19 was strong. 21 is simply timeless. In the past two years, Adele has refined and reinvented her unique sound that always puts her aching yet powerful vocals and lyrics at the forefront. These are songs that could have been released in the 60s as easily as 30 years from now. Adele has injected her trademark piano ballads with the best from several different musical genres including Americana roots and country, r&b, blues and gospel. The music is exciting and simply is. It lives, breathes. I played a couple songs for my mom, who at forty years older than I, generally criticizes my music taste, and the first thing she said was “Wow, this girl really knows how to write a story–those songs are beautiful.”

Sara
    @

5. School Textbooks
    August 12, 2012 | 10:24 am

Hello there, I found your website by way of Google even as searching for a comparable matter, your site came up, it appears to be like good. I’ve bookmarked to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

6. Xanax
    April 17, 2013 | 10:06 am

Your current write-up has proven beneficial to me. It’s very helpful and you are certainly
    really well-informed in this area. You possess exposed our sight to be able to different opinion of this kind of
    matter with intriguing and sound written content.

7. Download Mp3
    August 8, 2013 | 5:26 pm

Heya now i’m with the main time frame the following. I uncovered the following panel and i also to locate It truly beneficial & that reduced the problem out a lot. I really hope to offer some thing once more as well as aid others such as you forced me to be.