Late, Late at Night by Rick Springfield

When I first started reading Late, Late at Night by singer-actor Rick Springfield I wasn’t impressed. It wasn’t the content; it was his writing style, sort of a stream of consciousness, that threw me off. However, once I settled in, I enjoyed the conversational tone. It was like we were having a chat on the back porch. Wouldn’t that be cool? A back-porch chat with Rick Springfield?

The prologue opens with one of the lowest points in Springfield’s life, which comes at age 17. His depression follows him throughout his life and remains something he battles. This man has demons to conquer.

Not only is it an eye-opening story by someone we’ve all loved at some point in our lives, whether because of Jessie’s Girl (which was really about Gary’s girl) or Dr. Noah Drake from General Hospital, it’s also a mini history and geography lesson on Springfield’s native Australia, a land he seems to love.

It’s also a remembrance of Springfield’s many canine companions, including Lethal Ron, who was on the cover of the Working Class Dog album.

I’m not going to go into the details, but I will say it’s candid. From an incident when he was 5 to his philandering as a 51-year-old, he doesn’t sugarcoat anything. He owns up to his mistakes. And, though he’s strayed many times, he seems to truly love his wife. Yeah, I don’t get it, either, but that’s between him and his wife. “She is … the best person I have ever known,” Springfield says of his wife, Barbara.

It’s not a “fun” read, but it’s an interesting one. If you’re a Springfield fan, it’s a must. If you’re not, it’s still worthy, if only for it’s honesty. He holds nothing back and that makes for a good story.

8 Responses to Late, Late at Night by Rick Springfield
    February 28, 2011 | 11:33 am

Can I just say how much I LOVE that you tagged this with “philandering”? LOL!

I always had such a boy next door, squeaky clean image of Dr. Noah Drake – er, I mean Rick Springfield. Just goes to show you that things are not always – well, not USUALLY, even – what they seem. Great Review, Tiff!
    Ri´s last [type] ..Top Three Reasons I Haven’t Been Blogging Lately With Soundtrack

February 28, 2011 | 10:48 pm

Glad you liked that tag. :-) This definitely wasn’t what I thought it would be, but I enjoyed it.
    Tiffani´s last [type] ..Justin Bieber is cute My girl watching JB Cute overload!

March 1, 2011 | 9:36 am

I probably won’t read it… but your blog almost makes me want to. Haha!! Nice job, Tiff! I just seldom pick up non-fiction…

I loved Rick Springfield and I admit (mostly with my head hanging in shame) that he was my very first concert.

March 2, 2011 | 7:36 pm

Let’s just get this out there: I loved Rick Springfield. I loved him in the pure way that only a 12-year-old girl with enough money to buy Tiger Beat & all those other preteen-targeted magazines. My bedroom was plastered, floor to ceiling (no exaggeration) with posters and magazine cutouts of Mr. Springfield.

I only got over my crush when I hit puberty & my lustful thoughts were turned to David Lee Roth. Then the Rick Springfield pics came down & my walls were plastered with Van Halen & DLR.

I love that he’s still around but I don’t think I could read this. I was a much more innocent person then, and I would hate for those chaste memories to be smudged!
    Mari´s last [type] ..Emotions in Motion

5. hugeoverview7137.blog.com
    September 21, 2014 | 7:34 am

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in reaity used tto be a
    enjoyment account it. Look complicated to more introduced agreeable frtom
    you! However, howw can we bee in contact?
    hugeoverview7137.blog.com´s last [type] ..hugeoverview7137.blog.com

6. Theo
    December 30, 2014 | 7:32 pm

En el interior del auto también se efectúan modificaciones buscando mejoras en el equipamiento
    y un terminado estético singular.
    Theo´s last [type] ..Theo

7. i Joist
    June 22, 2015 | 8:53 pm

Hello, aftter reading this remarkable piece of writing i am too
    delighyed to share my knowledge here with mates.
    i Joist´s last [type] ..i Joist

8. scintillatingph52.skyrock.com
    August 8, 2015 | 12:32 am

continuously i used to read smaller content that also clear their motive,
    and that is also happening with this post which I am reading at this place.
    scintillatingph52.skyrock.com´s last [type] ..scintillatingph52.skyrock.com