INXS Should’ve Stuck With The Original (Sin)

Several months ago I read that INXS was going to release a new record/album/CD (what is it that we call it these days??) called “Original Sin”, named after their big hit from 1984. The song has a driving beat, a catchy chorus, a slightly-controversial (for its time) topic, and of course, the magic of the band in its original incarnation.

The new record was to be a tribute to the writing powerhouses in the band, Andrew Farriss and the late Michael Hutchence, and would be full of “re-imagined” recordings of their big hits by some of today’s rock stars.

To be completely honest, I’m not sure why I was so excited about this. INXS has always been one of my favorite bands, but I was devastated when Michael Hutchence died and knew that nothing the band did from that point forward would ever feel right. (They made a good effort with the addition of JD Fortune for “Switch”, especially “Pretty Vegas”, but still, meh.)

At any rate, a tribute to Farriss and Hutchence was intriguing to me, and I bought “Original Sin” from iTunes.

After listening, I had a great sense of unease. I don’t believe that great songs should never be redone in general, but for me, because INXS played such a huge part of my teenage years and beyond, it just didn’t feel right to hear their classic hits in this “re-imagined” way.

Oddly enough, it’s the new version of “Original Sin”, which features Rob Thomas, that is the one I can listen to without bristling. It’s fun, and very “clubby”.

In general though, this newest release from INXS is not going to be at the top of my playlist. I find myself having the distinct opinion that the best tribute to the genius of Michael Hutchence would have been to leave his songs alone.

10 Responses to INXS Should’ve Stuck With The Original (Sin)
  1. Cyndi Mullins
    May 5, 2011 | 12:18 pm

INXS re-imagined? Say it isn’t so! Michael Hutchence was INXS is my mind. I can think of few bands less in need of a new interpretation.

May 5, 2011 | 12:56 pm

I loved INXS in high school as well. They are locked into that time period of my life. Yeah, I don’t think I have any use either for a re-vamped version. Thanks for the review so I can make time to listen to something else!

3. belle
    May 6, 2011 | 10:39 am

I’m a sucker for a cover, so I’m sure I’ll at least check out the tracklist to see if anything grabs at me. But I certainly understand why you all feel the way you do about the “re-imagined” songs.
    belle´s last [type] ..There’s nothing like seeing your child taken away in an ambulance to put things in proper perspective

4. Lezdom
    May 16, 2011 | 8:33 am

Extremely good article. I just bookmark your site and wants to be able to say that I have really enjoyed while browsing your articles. Thank you for sharing the knowledge with all.

5. Rap Production
    May 18, 2011 | 6:41 am

I enjoyed going through your blog about tupac and some other hardcore rap stuff! Keep it up.

6. dansare
    May 10, 2013 | 3:57 pm

It’s great that you took the time to write this, as it’s a subject
    that is very important to me. Is there any way I can contact you?
    My name’s Lakeisha Rodrigue and I’d love to discuss this more.

7. Ola
    July 18, 2014 | 10:45 pm

I see a lot of interesting posts on your page. You have to spend a lot of time
    writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is a tool that creates readable,
    google friendly posts in couple of seconds, just search in google – k2 unlimited content
    Ola´s last [type] ..Ola