We’ve got the Friday Fivers!

If you remember wayyyy back to when Music Savvy Mom (Ri) actually wrote on her own blog, *snerk*, then you may remember her wildly popular “Friday Fivers” and their counterparts, the “Sunday Scoop”.  This was a regular feature wherein five blind tracks were posted on Friday – no set up, no commentary.  Readers were invited to listen and play music critic, either ripping the songs a new one or praising them to the heavens…all in the comment section.

It spawned some really great discussions and introduced tons of new (some as yet unreleased!) music…and it really shouldn’t have gone this long shelved.

So we’re bringing it back.

Mari is likely to run the show here at the Mamas, because let’s face it – if Ri (that’d be me) were up to it, she’d (I’d) have kept doing it on her own blog!  So, here are five “Mari selected” tracks for your audio perusal.  Let ‘er rip in the comments, and Mari will be back Sunday to give you the who/what/when/where on what you’ve been listening to.

Enjoy!

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

16 Responses to We’ve got the Friday Fivers!
    June 24, 2011 | 10:19 am

#1 – thought it was DeBarge in the beginning … very ’80′s ish.. ok – 4
    #2 – flight of the conchords… wait no, it’s an indie chick. give it a 5
    #3 – I can’t sorry… moving on to the next one… head hurts from the banging
    #4 – This one grew on me – liked the harmony and the ’60′s guitar popping in there. -7
    #5 – this bad boy was like a techno laced Red Hot Chili Peppers song with a horn section – crazy… me likey. -9

That was fun – MORE Friday Fivers!!!!
    Kathryn´s last [type] ..Shutter Chick – 30 Day Photo Fun Week 2

June 24, 2011 | 10:28 am

Yay! Thanks for playing. Tell your friends!
      Come back Sunday for the big reveal!

PS sorry for all those exclamation marks; I’m uber-caffeinated this morning.
      Mari´s last [type] ..Sailing

2. singlemama_cc
    June 24, 2011 | 10:47 pm

#1 is gotta a kinda Biggie Smalls/P Diddy kinda vibe..without the gats & hos….I’m diggin it

#2….I like her…the PIT’s head is bopping…I think she likes her too

#3…bring me a Jameson & Coke, I feel a bar fight comin on

#4 it feels 60ish. Love me the 60s

#5 makes me feel like I’ve mixed too many medications and my brain *may* explode
    singlemama_cc´s last [type] ..Random shit I was exposed to this week just by leaving my apartment

3. MisterLucky13
    June 25, 2011 | 12:51 am

1. Intro reminded me of Tom Tom Club. Not too bad I guess, don’t like the ‘melody’, chorus is okay.

2. Handclaps are always distracting. Not as distracting as the little trill thing she does with her voice. Like chorus but the whole thing is a little thin.

3. OK, NOW we’re talking! Black Flag influence. Bad Religion too. Background vocals really Offspring-ish. Love the crappy tone of the guitar solo. Every song should have a pick slide (2:15). Whoa, where is this going? Losing momentum. Okay, now it’s back. Best one yet.

4. Singer’s tone reminds me of Natalie Merchant. Or Norah Jones trying to sound a little countrified. Guitar noodling & thin tone sounds very Sultans of Swingish. Nice enough, will forget it within a couple minutes.

5. Was liking this one a lot until the vocals started. Bad Chili Peppers cover band? Love the drums. Really dug the instrumental break in the middle, then the vocals started again.

#3 was my favorite, #2 was my least favorite.

June 25, 2011 | 3:27 pm

Thx for the Tom Tom Club earworm … that one will be hard to shake.
      And handclaps I didn’t even notice them, but they are the new cowbell. I can picture a similar discussion among the band/producers (I’ve got a fever & the only prescription is more handclaps!)
      Mari´s last [type] ..Sailing

June 25, 2011 | 8:33 am

Number 4 is probably the only one I’d purchase

Numbers 3 and 5 I thought I’d dig (loved the drums at the beginning) but grew tired.

If I played the whole list through again, they have the potential to grow on me.

btw… glad these are back! Missed them. Keep up the music ladies!

RIP Clarence Clemons thanks for the little video. Loved seeing him play with the Grateful Dead back in ’88 or ’89

June 25, 2011 | 3:29 pm

Drums make me happy :)
      Thanks for playing!
      Mari´s last [type] ..Sailing

5. Kel
    June 25, 2011 | 2:02 pm

The first track made me think of something from the Labyrinth soundtrack or just the 80′s in general and then it took a completely different turn. Not something I’d be interested in buying.
    I loved track 2. It seems like something I could crank up in the car while on a road trip with the girls or something. Track 3 was ok, maybe something I’d listen to again. The rest? Eh. It was ok, but not my favorites.

June 25, 2011 | 3:30 pm

Love the Labyrinth reference! Anything that makes people think of random 80s awesomeness and/or awkwardness is swell.
      Mari´s last [type] ..Sailing

6. Kim
    June 25, 2011 | 4:12 pm

#s 3 & 5 FTW! Like #3 the very best. Of course.
    Kim´s last [type] ..While we’re on the subject of change….

June 25, 2011 | 6:34 pm

Of course :)

8. best Maryland pest control company
    November 23, 2014 | 5:28 am

best Maryland pest control company…

We’ve got the Friday Fivers! | The Music Mamas…

9. Hayden
    December 12, 2015 | 12:37 pm

But from my study weightwatchers that are effective need to create a life
    style in stability using their diets to accomplish lasting
    benefits that are longer.
    Hayden´s last [type] ..Hayden

10. Jetpack Joyride hack download apple
    December 13, 2015 | 2:25 pm

Jetpack Joyride hack download apple…

We’ve got the Friday Fivers! | The Music Mamas…