Footloose remake: Totally rad or totally bad?

The much talked about release of the remake of ’80s classic Footloose hits theaters Oct. 14. Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough play the lead roles.

Paramount Pictures

I know nothing about Wormald except that the boy’s got some moves … as seen here and here. And I do appreciate that he’s traded in his baggy basketball shorts for a pair of jeans that fit.

Of course, Hough started her climb to fame on Dancing with the Stars and on the CMT charts. Now, she’s moved on to acting. We’ll see if she can pull off the small-town preacher’s daughter.

Speaking of preacher, will you buy Dennis Quaid as a preacher? If he pulls it off, Quaid will have gone from playing hellraiser Jerry Lee Lewis to someone trying to save us all from the fire and brimstone that dancing will surely bring. Andie MacDowell stars as the preacher’s patient, understanding wife.

The update appears to be set in current times in the Dirrrty South. (In the trailer, the Bomont city limit sign features a peach, which means Georgia to me.) There’s a lot of hip-hop and dirty dancing and a little country line dancing. And, yes, the prom: the “be-all and end-all” of high school.

I want to see Footloose, if for no other reason than to compare it to the original, which will always be the best, whether I like this one or not. You can take the girl out of the ’80s, but you can’t take the ’80s out of the girl.

Watch the two trailers below and let me know what you think.

30 Responses to Footloose remake: Totally rad or totally bad?
    July 5, 2011 | 8:23 am

Ohhhh, where to begin?!

1.) The new “Ren”‘s accent is horribly fake.
    2.) Hough annoys me.
    3.) I love Dennis Quaid – and I hope he pulls it off. Looked like he was on the right track in that trailer.
    4.) THE SAME VW BUG? Okay, I’m pretty sure that borders on sacrilege.
    5.) I don’t care how good this new Ren is – there will only ever be ONE “Kevin Bacon angry dance”.
    6.) Andy McDowell, though lovely, is no Dianne Weist. But she’s got the accent for a peach state. On the fence there.
    7.) There’s no Chris Penn. *sigh* RIP.

Sure, I’m biased since I was in High School when the first one came out…but I say some things just should not be remade. (Great article, Tiffani!)
    Ri´s last [type] ..Fireworks!

• Tiffani
      July 5, 2011 | 10:46 pm

Thanks, Ri. I agree on Chris Penn. He was great in the original.

July 5, 2011 | 10:56 am

NO NO NO NO NO.

SO WRONG. All of it.

That is all.
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Mayberry

• Tiffani
      July 5, 2011 | 10:46 pm

What? You don’t like all that dirty dancing? LOL … kidding. ;-)

3. Stevee
    July 5, 2011 | 4:14 pm

I guess this is further proof that Hollywood has lost all creativity. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! I see they’ve updated it/dumbed it down to make it more “relatable” to today’s teens.

I’ve been a fan of Kenny Wormald’s for a while, ever since MTV’s “Dancelife.” He’s an AMAZING dancer, but the accent does sound horribly fake. Plus, the fact that Kevin Bacon was an untrained dancer gave a lot of authenticity to the dance sequences. His “angry dance” was one of the greatest things ever put on film.

Don’t get me started on Julianne Hough. She was annoying on Dancing with the Stars and she looks to be the same in this one. Terrible actress and even worse phony southern “accent.”

• Tiffani
      July 5, 2011 | 10:47 pm

Nobody ever gets the Southern accent right.

And KW can dance.

July 5, 2011 | 4:45 pm

Oh no. No, no, no.
    They should just remaster it & re-release it in 3D. I think it would be a much, MUCH better idea!
    Mari´s last [type] ..Go the **** to Sleep.

July 5, 2011 | 4:46 pm

That being said … I’ll still probably watch it when it comes out (hard to tear your eyes away from the horrible accident & all)!
      Mari´s last [type] ..Go the **** to Sleep.

• Tiffani
        July 5, 2011 | 10:49 pm

Imagine that chicken fight scene in 3D! Those tractors would be comin’ right at us! Haha

5. singlemama_cc
    July 5, 2011 | 7:40 pm

Is it bad that I have never seen Footloose? I remember having the cassette tape and playing it until my tape player ATE it (remember when that shit used to happen!?)

I’ve also never seen Cocktail, ET, or any of the Karate Kid movies
    singlemama_cc´s last [type] ..Meet people?! Hell, I avoid people

• Tiffani
      July 5, 2011 | 11:00 pm

Well, of course, the best thing about most of those movies is the music!

I totally remember that happening to my tapes, especially the ones where I taped stuff off the radio.

• singlemama_cc
        July 6, 2011 | 12:19 am

The ones where you waited and waited and waited to hit record but still got a lil bit of the damn commercials in your mix tape?! I still have one. I have no where to play it but just in case I come across a boombox, I’m ready to go with what ever I loved when I was 11 (that was pre- gangsta rap phase…it’s probably a mix of AC/DC, Bon Jovi, KISS and Led Zeppelin) now I kinda wanna find a boombox and find out……Im gonna be pissed if I find one only to discover my little brother recorded himself being a dork in the middle of my mix tape, AGAIN…..
        singlemama_cc´s last [type] ..Meet people?! Hell, I avoid people

July 5, 2011 | 10:44 pm

But, y’all, how can his Bahstahn accent be fake? Kenny Wormald is from Boston. :-)

July 6, 2011 | 10:59 am

Maybe he’s laying it on a little thicker than necessary. (Probably subconsciously trying to compensate for Hough’s horrid Southern one!)
    Ri´s last [type] ..Fireworks!

8. Bryan
    July 15, 2011 | 4:09 pm

I was ok with it until I heard the music. Then it gave me diarrhea. I hope Kevin Bacon punches someone in the face over this…

9. sirona
    August 2, 2011 | 11:00 pm

I don’t need to give this movie a chance, like anyone else who grew up in the 80′s we saw it and either liked it or hated it, or it was eh, I have a 17 yr old and he even said it was stupid to remake this movie and he will not watch it either, and yes he watched the original.

10. Christian Art, Gifts, Books
    April 27, 2012 | 4:44 pm

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a appropriate deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered brilliant transparent idea

11. Cacilda de Souza
    May 15, 2012 | 5:59 am

Can anyone assist?. I’m studying the impact of Line Dancing lessons delivered by the Net. AS part of this, I’m chasing recommended sites dealing in such statistical information. If anyone has a personal recommendation, please pass it on.

Much appreciated,

Dan

12. Caca Cwantik
    May 15, 2012 | 6:08 am

Can anyone help?. I’m studying the impact of Line Dancing lessons delivered by the Net. AS part of this, I’m chasing recommended sites dealing in such demographic information. If someone has a personal site experience, please pass it on.

Much appreciated,

Dan

13. shopping
    February 28, 2013 | 8:13 am

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve take note your stuff prior to and you are just too fantastic. I really like what you have received right here, really like what you are saying and the way in which in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to learn much more from you. This is really a tremendous site.

14. Duane
    July 27, 2013 | 9:12 pm

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks
    Duane´s last [type] ..Duane

15. sea horizon condo
    August 3, 2013 | 11:02 am

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
    It is the little changes that produce the biggest changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!
    sea horizon condo´s last [type] ..sea horizon condo

16. Right here is the right site for everyone who wants to understand this topic.
    You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a new spin on a subject which has been written about for decades.

Great stuff, just wonderful!
    daybyday – 레드 슬라이딩 도어 Red Door is Best´s last [type] ..daybyday – 레드 슬라이딩 도어 Red Door is Best

17. forestville location
    September 12, 2013 | 11:19 am

I’m more than happy to discover this page. I wanted to thank
    you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely loved every
    bit of it and I have you saved as a favorite to check out new
    stuff on your web site.
    forestville location´s last [type] ..forestville location

18. big win basketball Hack
    March 22, 2014 | 1:45 am

Hi there! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I
    had to ask. Does building a well-established blog
    like yours take a large amount of work? I am completely new to blogging but I do write in my diary everyday.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for new aspiring bloggers.

Appreciate it!
    big win basketball Hack´s last [type] ..big win basketball Hack

19. Www.Gamezebo.com
    April 11, 2014 | 6:53 am

I’m not sure exactly why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my
    end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.
    http://Www.Gamezebo.com´s last [type] ..http://Www.Gamezebo.com

20. here
    May 7, 2014 | 10:18 am

here…

Footloose remake: Totally rad or totally bad? | The Music Mamas…

21.  Pure Muscle Pro and Alpha Genix
    September 7, 2014 | 4:14 am

Pure Muscle Pro and Alpha Genix…

Footloose remake: Totally rad or totally bad? | The Music Mamas…

22. 8 ball pool miniclip picture
    November 22, 2015 | 6:40 pm

I got this site from my friend who shared with me
    about this site and now this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative articles at this time.
    8 ball pool miniclip picture´s last [type] ..8 ball pool miniclip picture