The Friday Fiver: Thünder Jügs

If I had a band, and that band was made up of awesome women, Thünder Jügs would totally be my band name, due to a very interesting and fun-filled recent trip to Cleveland. (where my Cleveland girls at!? Holla!) And if Thünder Jügs is wrong? I don’t wanna be right.

So, here is your Friday Fiver! And, because I went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame whilst in Cleveland and checked out the Women in Rock exhibit therein, this week’s fiver is all about the lady business.

Oh, you’re not familiar with the Fiver? Well, here is where you get to play music critic, be Ellen Willis and wax poetic about all these amazing rockin’ ladies. The tracks are not identified; some you may know, some you may not. Some you may love already. Some you may learn to love, and some, well, you might not be able to tolerate, much less love.

So listen to the tracks & tell us how you feel. Sunday we’ll spill the details.

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

Please note that henceforth, the Fiver will be every other week. But rest assured; the frequency may decrease but the awesomesauceness decidedly, will not.

11 Responses to The Friday Fiver: Thünder Jügs
    August 5, 2011 | 5:35 am

1. Just downloaded this – you have excellent taste!
    2. British Funky girl – good one.
    3. Grew on me but still – eh
    4. Like a little lucinda williams – guitar gave good twang.
    5. No… just no…. couldn’t listen

Loved the ladies rocking it out this week!
    Kathryn´s last [type] ..Chick Tunes – July/August

• Ri
      August 5, 2011 | 7:35 am

Kathryn – what the HELL are you doing up at 5:35 am?

(Okay, going to listen to the Fiver now…just had to get that out first.)
      Ri´s last [type] ..Beaches, Bikinis, Buffett and Beer

August 5, 2011 | 7:54 am

Track 1: Not generally my thing, but undeniably great song, and love her voice. Plus, she gets points for being Irish.

Track 2: This is difficult, because I like the song, but she annoys the shit out of me. (Not at a Helen Hunt level, but still.) Again – can’t deny the voice and talent, but I’m still gonna pass.

Track 3: Nope. Next!

Track 4: Yep. There you go – that’s how you do it! Love her. (Well, “them”.) I’m a sucker for a slide guitar. ;)

Track 5: Oh, HELL yeah! A favorite! Now, there’s a “Righteous Babe” for ya! ;) Haven’t heard this one in a while – now on repeat.

Thanks, M!
    Ri´s last [type] ..Beaches, Bikinis, Buffett and Beer

August 5, 2011 | 8:36 am

Aww, I’m all verklempt! Woke up & checked to make sure the post posted and there were comments waiting. Yay!
    Mari´s last [type] .."Hipster."

4. dy
    August 5, 2011 | 8:38 am

Track 1: I liked it. Kind of heard Chrissie Hynde-ness in there.

Track 2: Joss Stone. Eh.

Track 3: Boring

Track 4: Grace <3 I went to Spotify while this was on and added it to a playlist I have of stuff I need to pick up.

Track 5: I guess it goes against the spirit of this posting that I like the boys playing in the band better than the girl singing.
    dy´s last [type] ..itsdaytimeyoudouche:

Cartoon Colour Wheel.

August 5, 2011 | 8:54 am

#4 is the winner of the day if it’s a contest.

#1 and #2 I would prefer as instrumentals

#3 liked least

#5 close second to #4

gotta go to work!

6. MisterLucky13
    August 6, 2011 | 11:04 am

1.- Like the stand-up bass, like the rave-up tempo, vocals sound cool, digging the Stray Cats vibe overall. Her voice reminds me of Maria McKee from Lone Justice. Cool tune.

2.- Not liking this one. Hate the hipster guitar tone, have a feeling this woman wouldn’t have anything to do with the likes of me in real life.

3.- Cool intro. This song probably took longer to listen to than it did to write. Found myself bobbing my head with this one, not back & forth but rather from side to side. Digging it.

4.- Yeah, really liking the distorted slide guitar. Hammond B3-sounding organ is just boss. Okay, I really liked the music but her voice was sorta thin and irritating overall.

5.- Intro kinda put me in the mind of ‘Owner Of a Lonely Heart’. So thanks for that. Vocals are too far back in the mix. Pretty bored at the 2:00 mark. Now it’s reminding me of Blondie ‘rapping’ on Rapture so as far as songs this reminds me of, it’s 0-for-2. Pass.

Favorite was #3 followed by #1, least favorite was #2 with #4 hot on its heels.

7. Oh_pook
    August 6, 2011 | 8:29 pm

Mister Lucky

Turn on iClips.net in about 20 minutes and you may change your mind on #4. She/they are playing Kanrocksas tonight

8. mileserika
    August 7, 2011 | 12:48 pm

I am not that a rock and roll lover but I’ll try to listen to it. You ladies are really that high on music. I am a bit of a lay back, so I’d rather stay home and listen to you.
    mileserika´s last [type] ..play angry birds online

9. Shahar
    August 8, 2011 | 8:21 am

Thunder jugs – Like the title !!
    Shahar´s last [type] ..Lets talk business…