Fiver: Better Late than Never

Howdy, y’all.  Ri here.  I found I was getting a lil’ nostalgic for doing the Fivers myself, so I “volunteered” to take on today’s.  Of course, right after volunteering, I promptly forgot all about it…until just now.

(What?  It’s not like you didn’t KNOW that Mari is the much more organized, punctual and professional one. I manage to skate by on my charm and modesty.  Pfffft.)

So, per the norm, I shall post five tracks below.  Some may be so brand, spankin’ new they haven’t even been released yet…some may be oldies I just dug out of my vault because I wanted us to listen with new ears and critique.  As usual, I’ll be giving you absolutely NO advance information about them whatsoever.  You, then, shall listen and give your pithy review of said tracks in the comments below.

(Well, if you want to.  I didn’t mean that in a “…it puts the lotion in the basket” kind of creepy, demanding way – just in a nice, sweet, “we’d love it if you’d participate” kind of way!  Seriously! )

And then, also per the norm, on Sunday we’ll end the suspense and  I’ll post all the answers and detailed track/artist info that I can muster up.  Cool beans?

Yep.  So, here we go:

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

7 Responses to Fiver: Better Late than Never
    September 16, 2011 | 1:22 pm

Hmm. Quite the mixed back of tricks you’ve got there, Ri!
    Here be my comments:

1. No then maybe.
    2. Solid no.
    3. Yes.
    4. Maybe.
    5. Yes.
    Mari´s last [type] ..The post I stole from Ri

September 16, 2011 | 1:46 pm

Oh Mari… we are so different today!

#1 was YES! then maybe

I had to turn off #3 halfway through.

But #5 was my favorite… so we’ve got that

Thanks, Ri! Overall it was a great playlist!

September 16, 2011 | 5:21 pm

1. I like the harmonica.

2. Meh, but I like the line “I’m a heartache you don’t deserve.”

3. Not feeling it.

4. “A hand on my buttock in a Spanish bar …” you don’t hear that every day. Lyrics are fun, but the music is boring.

5. Groovy, man! And one I recognize.

Thanks, Ri!
    Tiffani´s last [type] ..When is it OK to move on?

September 17, 2011 | 8:07 am

1. no
    2. no
    3. no
    4. no
    5. YES.

Needs more lil John. haha
    Melisa´s last [type] ..Truth

5. MisterLucky13
    September 18, 2011 | 10:39 am

1- Spent the whole song trying to think of something to say, couldn’t come up with anything.

2- Sounds like a cover of a Herman’s Hermits song. Actually sounds a lot like Lenny Kravitz at the 1:38 mark.

3- Like the build up. Wow, vocals remind me a lot of the late Mark Sandman of Morphine. This sounds like it could be from his earlier band, Treat Her Right. I know it isn’t though. Ri, you really seem to be drawn to Swamp Rock with distorted slide guitar, have you ever checked out C.C. Adcock? Even more Morphine vibe when the sax starts at the 4:00 mark. This one could have gone a few more minutes and I wouldn’t have gotten bored.

4- Intro guitar sounds like Chris Smither. Reminds me of a Monty Python song for some reason. Did not dig the music but would love to hear Courtney Love do a thrash version of this with Hole. It would kick ass.

5- Aw, yeah. Good idea putting this at #5 because if you put it #1, the rest of the songs would sound lame by comparison. Funny, I was thinking how much I hate bongo drums when listening to #4 but they sound awesome in #5. Whoa, abrupt ending! This is a great one to listen to at 7:30AM, sets the tone for the rest of the day.

Best: #5 (no-brainer), liked #3 a lot, I think my least favorite was #1 but I’m not sure as I’ve already deleted it from the mental hard drive.

September 18, 2011 | 2:23 pm