Get Ready for the NEW Footloose Soundtrack!

Who could ever forget the iconic lyrics to the Kenny Loggins classic, Footloose?

“I been workin’ so hard, Keep punching my card,

Eight hours, for what? Oh, tell me what I got.”

Now, imagine those words sung by country music artist, Blake Shelton.

Sounds interesting, huh? It gets better.

Next, imagine a young Taylor Swift-esque county singer crooning “Holding Out For A Hero.” Sprinkle in some Cee-Lo and rapper, David Banner, and you’ve got yourself one bumping NEW Footloose soundtrack! Of course, nothing will replace the 1984 original but this one sure gives it a run for its money.

Before hearing the remake, I must admit to being a bit skeptical. How could anyone possibly make anything that would come close to the iconic songs of the original Footloose and, if so, who would be worthy of singing the songs? Kudos to the music peeps behind this one because they hit the mark. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to hear one of my favorite folk rock artists, Lissie, make an appearance with “Little Lovin’” which is from her album, Catching a Tiger. There are a few new songs, too, which I’m sure you’ll enjoy so much so that you may actually download the entire album…I promise, it’s worth it!

Here’s a peek at the track listing and a little helpful commentary:

Footloose – Blake Shelton (country music singer, Miranda Lambert’s hubby and vocal coach on NBC’s The Voice)
Where the River Goes – Zac Brown (the 2010 GRAMMY winning “Best New Artist”)
Little Lovin’ – Lissie (Paste Magazine’s 2010 “Best New Artist”)
Holding out for a Hero – Ella Mae Bowen  (She’s a new comer. Hoping to hear more from her.)
Let’s Hear it For The Boy – Jana Kramer (One Tree Hill Actress)
So Sorry Mama – Whitney Duncan (She’s going to compete in the upcoming CBS show, Survivor: South Pacific.)
Fake ID – Big & Rich feat. Gretchen Wilson (Rumor has it they got back together just to do this song.)
Almost Paradise – Victoria Justice/Hunter Hayes (beautiful duet)
Walkin’ Blues – CeeLo Green feat. Kenny Wayne Shephard (Kudos to Kenny’s guitar playing!)
Magic in My Home – Jason Freeman (Very rock meets blues sounding)
Suicide Eyes – A Thousand Horses (The lead singer sounds like Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes)
Dance the Night Away – David Banner (Crunk-a-licious song…one of my favorites on the album!)

It was a hard choice but my favorite song on the album is…drumroll please…Ella Mae Bowen’s version of “Holding Out For A Hero.” Bravo girl because you took this song and made it your own!

Footloose is scheduled for release on October 14th.

18 Responses to Get Ready for the NEW Footloose Soundtrack!
    September 29, 2011 | 5:08 pm

My 14/15 year old self is cringing at the thought of remaking the movie and soundtrack Haha… but so far what I’ve seen and heard.. it may not suck (and may prove to be good)

Oooooh I really look forward to the Walking Blues remake! Should prove interesting.

btw, Lissie is doing a mini Daytrotter session today with one of my faves, Truth and Salvage!!

• Gina
      September 29, 2011 | 9:45 pm

Believe it or not…critics who have gone to see screenings of the new Footloose agree that the remake isn’t half bad. Take a look here, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068242/externalreviews. So, I so go and see it AND keep your ears open for the cool soundtrack. ;)

September 29, 2011 | 6:16 pm

Gina – LOVE your round-up on the new Footloose soundtrack. I have to say, not sure how I feel about the remake. I do love me a little Zac Brown Band and the band A Thousand Horses sounds like they are worth a listen. Jury is out until I hear it but it sounds like it has potential!
    Kathryn´s last [type] ..Pinterest Love

• Gina
      September 29, 2011 | 9:48 pm

I bet when you hear the soundtrack live…you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Heard the same thing about the movie, too. ;)

September 29, 2011 | 8:28 pm

Oh I’m so torn on this one. I was 14 when this movie came out, fourteen!
    This movie made me want to dance; to find a misunderstood city boy living in my suburban hellspace so I could rescue him. Or to find his goofy friend and help him to find the cool within (I will always love you, Chris Penn).
    I wanted to race a tractor. Wear a cowboy hat with a tank top and boots (this was before I discovered black eyeliner).
    Instead, I bought the soundtrack on cassette.
    I did the worm in the street outside a friend’s house. (Remember? I was 14. Very bendy.)
    And then when I watched the movie again, years later on cable, I cringed. But my inner 14 year old was doing the worm again.
    So I’m torn on the remake. But really, really curious!
    Mari´s last [type] ..The post I stole from Ri

• Gina
      September 29, 2011 | 9:52 pm

When I heard Paramount was doing a remake of this iconic movie, I rented the original Footloose for the first time. Yes, I am outing myself. I had only seen clips of Kevin Bacon’s infamous dance/flipping scene prior. So, after seeing the original, not only did I recognize that about every song in the soundtrack was a hit but that the remake had much to live up to. Well, I can vouch for the 1st that the soundtrack is awesome. Now, let’s see if the critics are right about the remake. I almost think we all need a follow-up post once we’ve seen the new one. Hmm…great idea.

September 29, 2011 | 10:50 pm

I can’t hear Blake Shelton singing “Footloose,” but I will wait until I hear it before judging. :-)

We did a post on the movie earlier in the year, http://themusicmamas.com/2011/07/05/footloose-remake-totally-rad-or-totally-bad/, and most people weren’t convinced it could be done well. I’ll probably go see it, if only to compare then and now. (And to watch Kenny Wormald dance!)

Should be interesting!
    Tiffani´s last [type] ..Even at 9, I knew how to rock

• Gina
      September 30, 2011 | 4:39 pm

Blake definitely did the song justice AND I saw a clip from the video from him doing the song. Liked that too!

5. Kim @ This Belle Rocks
    September 30, 2011 | 12:20 am

I can forgive Blake for this….I’ll probably love his version, after all. And I do adore KWS *and* the Zac Brown Band. Maybe I’ll give it a listen, even though every instinct I’ve got screams at me to cover my ears :)
    Kim @ This Belle Rocks´s last [type] ..My new normal, take 2

• Gina
      September 30, 2011 | 4:40 pm

I thought the same thing before listening to the album. Curious to hear what you think after you hear it.

6. rick
    October 21, 2011 | 4:03 pm

The new FOOTLOOSE movie,the movie is better than the original,”I HEAR”. But the new soundtrack I have tried to listen to and I’d rather eat dirt for a week than be subjected to horrible countrified remakes of an already classic album. Don’t get me wrong, I love country MUSIC but this is really really bad! It’s country and whatever else music you wanna call it gone bad karaoke! The original soundtrack was great! Should had just remastered the 80′s soundtrack instead. Then again with the way music sounds today this generation will love it. Cause it’s just that bad!

7. You really make it appear so easy with your presentation but I to find this matter to be really something that I think I would by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely huge for me. I am having a look forward on your subsequent publish, I will try to get the grasp of it!

8. chris hayes
    May 28, 2012 | 8:34 pm

Valuable information. Lucky me I discovered your site accidentally, and I am shocked why this accident did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

9. free
    June 4, 2012 | 7:29 am

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our entire group can be grateful to you.

10. Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my blog so i came to go back the prefer?.I’m attempting to in finding things to improve my web site!I suppose its good enough to use some of your concepts!!

11. bessere welt
    October 14, 2012 | 9:21 am

I simply wanted to develop a simple note to express gratitude to you for some of the unique tips and tricks you are showing on this site. My time-consuming internet investigation has now been honored with brilliant tips to talk about with my co-workers. I would suppose that many of us site visitors actually are really lucky to be in a very good community with so many lovely people with very helpful guidelines. I feel really privileged to have used your entire web pages and look forward to some more awesome minutes reading here. Thanks a lot once more for everything.

12. prueba del vih
    January 28, 2013 | 5:46 am

I do not even know how I stopped up here, but I thought this put up was good. I do not know who you might be however definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger for those who aren’t already. Cheers!

13. Angel
    May 7, 2014 | 1:35 am

Is there a website that makes it easy to follow blogs and podcasts? I don’t have an iPod, does that matter?.