Cover Off – Wagon Wheel

Psssst – Ri here.  Let’s welcome Kathryn from Coastal Chick as our newest Music Mama!  If you’ve hung around here for any time at all, you know she’s a regular who fits right in with the rest of us nutters.  The fact that she loves music AND writing is a definite plus, and we’re damn glad to have her! :)

So. without further adieu…I give you Kathryn!

_______________________________

For the past few months I keep hearing covers of the song “Wagon Wheel” by the Old Crow Medicine Show. Well actually, Old Crow Medicine Show and Bob Dylan wrote the song. Mr. Dylan wrote the original chorus, a sketch of the song if you will, and the boys in Old Crow Medicine Show completed this foot stomper.

Take a listen to the “original” version here (The official video is great too, I just love this live version)

I get to hear new musicians now and again from the folks at Ariel Publicity. Two of their musicians have amazing covers of “Wagon Wheel”. These gents are two very different musicians, one a kick ass guitar playing blues man, Matt Anderson. I got chills the first time I heard him sing and at 40+ it takes a lot to give this girl a shiver up her spine. The other artist is Nate Hall an 18-year-old “pop artist”. Not sure I would pigeonhole this kid as a pop artist, I think he could probably go in any direction and at 18 he has time and more importantly the talent.

Matt Anderson – Wagon Wheel

Nate Hall – Wagon Wheel

I love them both. Maybe it’s the song, which is a amazing, but I think it’s just two musicians making the song their own. That is the beauty of singing a cover song, we get to hear a favorite in a whole new way and maybe meet a new artist or two in the process.

If you want more info on these boys from north of the border, check out their info below:
Matt Anderson: Facebook

Nate Hall: Facebook

Also, the folks that started it all by finishing this great song:
Old Crow Medicine Show: Facebook

7 Responses to Cover Off – Wagon Wheel
    November 9, 2011 | 7:34 am

Welcome, Kathryn, from one “nutter” to another! haha
    Melisa´s last [type] ..It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

November 9, 2011 | 4:02 pm

Welcome!
    So that’s what the name of that song that I love is! My brother in law is an awesome singer and I’ve heard him sing this also. Love this, all versions of it. Thanks so much for sharing this!
    Mari´s last [type] ..Singing songs you don’t know

November 10, 2011 | 10:11 am

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies! :-)
    Kathryn´s last [type] ..Chick Tunes Tuesday at The Music Mamas

4. Patti @Easton Place Designs
    November 16, 2011 | 12:06 pm

I like the last version the best. The multi-part harmonies are incredible. And anyone who can walk and sing at the same time has my vote. ;) Thanks for introducing me to the various versions!

5. the simpsons Iphone cheats
    May 4, 2012 | 5:56 pm

It’s actually a cool and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

6. info
    September 17, 2012 | 2:22 pm

We’re a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with useful information to paintings on. You have performed a formidable activity and our whole group shall be thankful to you.

7. ホームページ
    May 14, 2014 | 1:35 am

ホームページ…

Cover Off – Wagon Wheel | The Music Mamas…