Whatever happened to….

Hello there, folks! Kim here, with a new and hopefully successful addition to the site, “Whatever happened to?” Wednesdays. The premise is exactly like it sounds: every Wednesday, I, or another Music Mama, will revisit a favorite band or artist from the distant or even recent past that we haven’t heard from in a while – or who, at the very least, are no longer as common a name as they used to be – and find out what they’ve been up to lately. Hope you all enjoy the first installment!

A few weeks ago, I tackled the Herculean and much off-put task of finally transferring an insanely large number of CDs to my computer, and therefore onto my Zune (I don’t own any Apple products yet, ’cause I’m just a rebel like that!) for many hours of road-trip aural entertainment. A large number of these CDs were from the 90s, and among them was The Prodigy‘s The Fat of the Land. And hearing it in its entirety again was like finding a long-lost treasure, as I love every song on this album. My very favorite is “Climbatize.” Go Spotify, Grooveshark, Blip, YouTube, etc. it, if you are so inclined. It’s great to move around to! Other favorites are “Mindfields” and “Narayan.”

The Prodigy, a British electro-breakbeat hardcore-industrial-hip-hop band, first became prominently known in the states with 1997′s The Fat of the Land, but actually had several releases before that and were big beat trailblazers who were already huge in the club/rave scene. Those of you who were around in the 90s may remember the controversy that kicked up in the wake of the “Smack My Bitch Up” video. (In case you’re not, MTV showed it only during the latest part of the night, then yanked it out of rotation altogether after a week and several family-friendly retail chains quickly cleared their shelves of the CD. The song’s lyrics aren’t bad at all, but that video was something else, earning it the number one spot on an MTV2 countdown of the most controversial videos shown on MTV.) The Fat of the Land was definitely their most commercially successful release here in the States, and led to numerous movie soundtrack contributions as well as headlining several huge rock festivals including Lollapalooza.

After the late 90s I never heard anything by or about them, but they have continued to tour and release music.

Their most recent album, 2009′s Invaders Must Die, features a guest appearance by Dave Grohl, who I consider a living legend, on drums for “Run With the Wolves”, and also features a song which has made it onto both a movie and video game soundtrack, “First Warning.” (Fun fact: The Prodigy’s Liam Howlett remixed the Foo Fighters’ “White Limo.” Awesomeness!)

I thought this band had fallen off the face of the earth, but with their new releases, tours, clothing label, and remixes? They’ve apparently been busier than ever. Here’s a small playlist of some of The Prodigy’s more recent stuff you might NOT have heard yet:

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

I’m taking suggestions for my next go-round, if anyone has any they’d like me feature. So don’t be shy in the comments!

14 Responses to Whatever happened to….
    November 9, 2011 | 7:33 am

I LOVE The Prodigy. “Voodoo People” is one of my favorite songs to use in my spin classes! :)
    Melisa´s last [type] ..It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

November 9, 2011 | 3:38 pm

Ooh, Prodigy moves my feet too. I Keep Smack my Bitch Up & Narayan on my running playlist all the time. I had no idea they had new music out there! Need to check it out.

I saw them in DC @ the HFStival that also featured Beck and Blondie. It was a show most awesome. They were some scary, hardcore dudes for sure!
    Mari´s last [type] ..Singing songs you don’t know

• Kim @ This Belle Rocks
      November 16, 2011 | 1:59 am

I would LOVE to see them live….Keith Flint is something to behold, even in video format. Scary sounds about right, as he looks almost reptilian and demonic at the same time. Sort of. I imagine the energy at their shows is incredible!

Everything I have on the playlist is stuff after The Fat of the Land, so give it a listen when you get a chance, and see if you still like them :)

November 9, 2011 | 8:08 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever listened to anything by The Prodigy. Not bad. :-)

Great idea for a post, Kim!
    Tiffani´s last [type] ..Songs that remind me of boys

• Kim
      November 16, 2011 | 2:06 am

Glad you liked it! I think the Prodigy is awesome running/workout music. If the electro genre label doesn’t put you off, they’re actually quite good.

4. Grant Brookes@Cheap Web Design
    November 10, 2011 | 4:47 am

Hey Kim! I think i had heard a little about the Prodigy in 2010.. Also i remember that the BBC had reviewed their new album with ‘..what many will consider a last attempt at proving their relevance’! i remember coz it was rather funny..

I really appreciate your efforts to bring back the not-so-remembered bands back! there were so many that were really good but we have totally forgotten..
    Grant Brookes@Cheap Web Design´s last [type] ..The Web Surgery wins at the Richmond Business Awards 2011

• Kim
      November 16, 2011 | 2:08 am

That does sound pretty funny, Grant! I doubt they’ll ever reach The Fat of the Land‘s success again, but I’m sure their diehard fans still love their new music – which is still quite good; unfortunately, there just isn’t much of a market for it anymore.

5. Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve take note your stuff prior to and you are simply extremely excellent. I really like what you have got right here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which in which you assert it. You are making it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read much more from you. That is really a terrific web site.

6. Super Ketone Plus and Aloe vera cleanse
    September 6, 2014 | 5:18 pm

Super Ketone Plus and Aloe vera cleanse…

Whatever happened to…. | The Music Mamas…

7. Amazon
    September 24, 2014 | 4:02 pm

I delight in, cause I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for.
    You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day.

Bye
    Amazon´s last [type] ..Amazon

8. curtain fabric
    June 9, 2015 | 3:14 pm

curtain fabric…

Whatever happened to…. | The Music Mamas…