This or That? Live and Let Die

I was listening to this song over the weekend, and I thought about remakes and how many of them go horribly wrong. But how some remakes were just meant to be.

For example – Bruce Springsteen singing “Blinded by the Light” is not as awesome as Manfred Mann singing it. But then, Marilyn Manson singing “Tainted Love” is not quite as awesome as Soft Cell … who made it their own after it was a minor hit for Gloria Jones in the mid-60s. And don’t even get me started on the horrific pain inflicted by Fred Durst when he thought that remaking the Who’s “Behind Blue Eyes” was a good idea (Because? It wasn’t. Worst remake ever.)

“Live and Let Die” I think is made better by the Guns & Roses remake; the band understood the song and you felt their truth in it (much like their version of “Knocking on Heaven’s Door,” IMHO), but remakes are a personal taste thing.

So where do you weigh in? Paul McCartney or Guns & Roses?

I’ve also included the Duffy version, which I think we can all agree is the remake that does not quite measure up.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
8 Responses to This or That? Live and Let Die
  1. Dr. Pants
    November 28, 2011 | 11:21 am

I have to say, I prefer the McCartney version. Granted, I’m much more of a post-Beatles McCartney loyalist/fan than most folks I know. We have to remember that this song was created to be the theme for a James Bond film…and given that, I feel that McCartney’s version has much more of that spirit in it than the Gn’R version.

2. rainbowlite
    November 28, 2011 | 11:55 am

I grew up with Paul and Wings so advantage McCartney. I like Axl but I love Paul. Anyone can do an awesome job with Tainted Love. It’s a boss song and my karaoke favorite.

November 28, 2011 | 9:12 pm

Guns’n'Roses. Not a big McCartney fan. I find his music boring. This Duffy version is bad and not in a good way.

November 29, 2011 | 8:31 am

I’m going to have to agree with Dr. Pants. As the theme song for a Bond film, McCartney nails it. Plus, Axl annoys me. Duffy’s version is just wrong.

November 29, 2011 | 8:58 am

I love both the McCartney version & the GNR version. The original is a classic, what’s not to love about it? But Axl, annoying diva he is, and the band bring a brashness and a gritty edge that bring something to the song. Sweet Paul has a lot going for him, but that gritty edge is not one of his assets.
    And the Duffy version is just all kinds of wrong. Sad clown wrong. Adults dressing up as babies wrong. So very wrong.

November 29, 2011 | 9:18 am

Damn you Duffy – really wanted to like your version but it was just not right. GNR.. I just can’t go there. So I am going for Sir Paul. He is clearly the winner for this one.

7. Tina Moran
    November 30, 2011 | 4:31 am

I really wanted to like Duffy’s version but sadly I didn’t. I expected too much from her. I’ve always loved the song because of that James Bond movie…so I guess I like Sir Paul’s version A LOT better. :(

8. Grant Brookes
    December 6, 2011 | 2:16 am

Even i agree that the GNR’s version of Live and let die was far better than others. Even i am a hard core McCartney fan, but i don’t have any qualms in accepting that the GNR’s version was way better!