Friday Fiver on Thursday.

And, why not?  When I started the Friday Fiver, it’s not like there were any hard and fast rules…more like “guidelines”…

So, I’m jumping back in this week to give Mari a break and mix things up a bit.  Got some brand spankin’ new stuff  folded in with older gems and as always, we’d love your two cents on them.  I’ll lift the veil on Sunday and give you the scoop on songs and artists.

In the meantime, take a listen and critique like you’re Hunter S. Thompson.  We;ve got some rock, some blues, some smooth singer/songwriter and some that crosses genre definition…’cause that’s whats great about music and taste, right?  No size fits all! Enjoy!

xoxo, Ri

—————————-

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

11 Responses to Friday Fiver on Thursday.
    December 8, 2011 | 8:29 pm

1. Sounds like scissor sisters version of a rock acoustic. Which obviously is wrong on every level.
    2. Nice chill little song.. and there is a cello which always is a wine (crap meant win but I am leaving that because this would be nice with a glass of wine)
    3. Good old honkey tonk boy bo de dop… not my thing but ok.
    4. A very chill Robert Plantesque tune… ok.
    5. I am not even sure how to categorize this one…. so I won’t… it’s probably a bit of a don’t.

2. dy
    December 9, 2011 | 4:41 pm

1. I didn’t like it at all, shut it off after about 38 seconds.

2. I like the guy’s voice but the song is a little snoozy. Still a whole lot better than #1. Would be good background music for work or reading by a fire or something.

3. I like this one (but I do like a bit of southern in my music). Am curious to see what this was; may check him out more.

4. Pretty snoozy and I did shut it off after a minute. It just did nothing for me.

5. LOL and it started out promising but just no on the vocals and all that overproduction or whatever that is.

3. rainbowlite
    December 9, 2011 | 5:13 pm

1. It was okay, I thought the beginning was a Genesis song.
    2. The singer needs some Red Bull.
    3. Catching foot tapping despite the disturbing lyrics.
    4. Maybe their other songs are better.
    5. A bit ear hurty like 2 songs made out and had a baby song.

4. Lisa
    December 10, 2011 | 10:39 am

1. Wow….I must be old. Be back after I down some Advil.
    2. I’m not that old. Maybe I’m just grumpy. Moving on to #3.
    3. More my thing. I like this one!
    4. This one’s ok but I wouldn’t look for it again.
    5. No. Just…..no.

5. MisterLucky13 (Scott)
    December 11, 2011 | 10:31 am

1- Yeah. Sounds like Nine Inch Nails covering My Sharona at the start. Okay, now it sounds like Beck’s falsetto. A lot of weird stuff going on in this one, I like it quite a bit.

2- Whoa, this is the antidote to song #1. Liking the guitar noodling and the melody. Nice song but I won’t remember it in an hour.

3- Like the overall sound but again, I probably won’t remember it.

4- Ooh, cool sound! Love the sparse music during the verses. Also digging the droning distorted guitar contrasting the violin. Sorry this one ended, I liked everything about it. Very unique.

5- Intro is a little frantic. Finding the click-track percussion intrusive and distracting. Sounds like a Sisters of Mercy/Jan Hammer collaboration. I usually like weird songs, this one not so much.

Favorite was #4 followed closely by #1. Nice batch o’tunes, Ri!

December 11, 2011 | 2:42 pm

1. This is the kind of noise that I like, with lots of drums and guitar. Oh, no that singing is so not working for me! But I really like the music. But not the singing, that made me want to turn it off. But then the music made me want to keep listening! But oh; not the voice. Sigh.

2. Nice groovy vibe. But too damn quiet/laid back for me to really love. This is the kind of song that I would really have to be invested in the lyrics to like. A bit too broody for my taste. Like the Middle Eastern flair that the instruments are bringing out. But again, it’s the voice that’s putting me off.

3. Oh my goodness yes. Love the tune love the voice. Thank you! Literally could not sit still listening to this. Very nice. Listened to it two times.

4. Gah. Does not make me happy. Very ploddy. Not happy. I do like the instrumental interludes, but I hate to say that this Golden God’s voice is annoying me in this song. I’m going to listen to #3 again.

5. Really don’t want to like it but I like it in spite of myself. It’s making me dance. Can’t quite decide what it’s reminding me of, though. A bit Marilyn Manson-ish, a bit of Antmusic, a bit of Ross from “Friends” and the music he makes on his keyboard, a little bit Depeche Mode. Hmm. Very interesting!

• MisterLucky13
      December 11, 2011 | 10:18 pm

Wow, Mari, I really whiffed on trying to guess which ones you’d like. Would have thought you’d have dug #4 and thought #3 was kinda boring. Glad we agreed on #1, though. Gonna come back for the reveal and see who #4 is and buy it! Have a feeling this would be great to see performed live, especially if you had a buzz going and the fiddle player were a tall, attractive woman in a black dress and beat-up cowboy boots. That may apply to me only, though.

December 12, 2011 | 9:17 am

Scott, I would go to see #4 perform live if he were singing from a hospital bed. I could listen to this live but it’s not for me when I’m listening to music at home or in the car or what have you.
        The sad thing is that I have Raising Sand (love both Plant & Allison Kraus) but listened to it but once or twice as it was too much on the heavy sadness sound.
        Funny that you liked 1 also but not 3 or 5? Those kept me dancing and that makes me happy. :)

• Ri
          December 12, 2011 | 10:40 am

Hey, you two kids wanna go give the Sunday Scoop a lil’ love, so you can stop cryptically referring to these folks in numerical form? LOL!

December 12, 2011 | 11:34 am

bwah ha ha!

7. [...] to the Sunday Scoop, wherein we share with you the whos and whats of the most recent Friday Fiver!  Loved the comments on these – the more frequently we do this, the more I begin to predict [...]