Big Time Rush with a side of One Direction

We hit the road to Nashville at 4:30 p.m. last Wednesday (after work and school) on the way to see Big Time Rush at Bridgestone Arena. My daughter, Riley, could barely contain her excitement: She bounced and sang the whole two-hour drive. And the night was unbelievable. Amazing. Every adjective that means incredible.

This was her first teenybopper show, and like her mother before her, she caught boy-band-itis, a condition resulting from exposure to cute boys singing catchy pop music with lyrics that make every girl feel like she’s The One. (See video below for a case study.)

Because I wanted a written record of this night (you would, too, if your kid was born deaf and you once wondered if she’d ever hear music, much less learn to love it), I live-tweeted the concert, until I got so into it that I forgot about it! (For those who don’t know, Big Time Rush is band and a TV show on Nickelodeon.)

And the more I listened to and watched One Direction, the opening act, the better I liked them. They’re five dudes from the UK who were finalists on “X-Factor” in 2010. Their album Up All Night is out today – I listened to the stream on AOL last week (OK, every day since Thursday) and really enjoyed the tunes. Here’s a clip of their performance on Today.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

While Riley warmed up to One Direction after two or three songs, by the end of the British boys’ set, she was definitely ready for the main act.

She’d waited for this since right after Christmas, a whole two months, which to a 10-year-old is a lifetime. When she found out they were coming to Nashville, she left a hot pink Post-It note with the details on my nightstand. The first time I checked for tickets, the show was sold out. The pink Post-It showed up again. I checked again … and success! She was thrilled, even when I told her we wouldn’t be up close. She didn’t care. She was going to see Big Time Rush!

That is … until James, Kendall, Carlos, and Logan made their way out into the crowd about midway through the show. When she realized they wouldn’t be coming to our seats? Major letdown, as evidenced by the following tweet and photo (notice the tear-stained face).

She rallied, though, when the boys sang Superstar and The City Is Ours. She was out of her seat, tears dried, faster than you can say “Bieber who?” She danced. I danced. She laughed at me. I laughed at myself. And we loved it!

As for the music? Boy-band pop isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK. I like it, though, and while they’re never going to win any Grammys, Big Time Rush put on a great show, they sounded good, and they interacted well with the crowd. We came away with another boy-band favorite: One Direction, who, by the way, recently won a Brit Award (a Grammy equivalent in the UK). And we shared something special, something just for the two of us.

The next day:

Now she’s begging to go see BTR again when they’re in Alabama in July. Looks like it’s time to start the Boy-Band Fund and prepare our voices for another case of boy-band-itis.

26 Responses to Big Time Rush with a side of One Direction
  1. mimsy
    March 13, 2012 | 12:31 am

That was fun. I clicked on the video and my son yelled Turn that down! Big Time Rush has a cute show; it makes me think of The Monkees. One Direction is going to be the musical guest on SNL. I don’t know if Riley can stay up that late.

• Tiffani
      March 13, 2012 | 9:12 pm

BTR is a bit reminiscent of The Monkees. I would definitely let her stay up to watch … if only we had cable! haha Surely it will be on YouTube soon after. ;-)

March 13, 2012 | 8:17 am

Ahaha – the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, huh? :) Your live tweets were priceless! So glad y’all can share “boy-band-itis”. <3

• Tiffani
      March 13, 2012 | 9:15 pm

Thanks, Ri! An experience I’ll never forget.

March 13, 2012 | 8:47 am

Love this! I can’t wait to take my kids to concerts, you are an awesome mom for sure. Such an important lesson to pass to your kids, this love of music. Grammar tests be damned (says the editor, lol).
    ;)

• Tiffani
      March 13, 2012 | 9:43 pm

Mari, thankfully, she’s doing well in that subject, so no real harm! LOL It’s so fun to share this with her.

4. The Laundress
    March 14, 2012 | 9:01 pm

We saw BTR over the summer. Loved them. So did my daughter.

Looking to go this summer again…Hopefully.

• Tiffani
      March 14, 2012 | 9:50 pm

Yep! They put on a great show. Hope we can go back, too. :-)

5. Kim @ This Belle Rocks
    April 1, 2012 | 10:22 pm

Awww….too cute! I understand her frustration at the boys not coming to your seats. I *still* feel that letdown sometimes!

6. country music singer nashville
    May 16, 2012 | 10:19 pm

Will boy bands ever die?

7. Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It really helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to provide something again and aid others like you helped me.

8. skincare
    July 13, 2012 | 2:50 am

You can certainly see your skills in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

9. Woah this blog is great i like reading your posts. Stay up the good work! You recognize, a lot of people are searching around for this information, you could help them greatly.

10. 02-04-12 Love Music Weekly | Love All Blogs
    February 25, 2013 | 4:29 pm

[...] Like this?Read more… [...]

11. Ned
    April 27, 2013 | 9:53 pm

hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your respective interesting content.
    Ensure that you update this again very soon.

12. finance tips
    July 29, 2013 | 10:41 am

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if
    it can survive a twenty five foot drop, just so she can be a youtube
    sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
    finance tips´s last [type] ..finance tips

13. 職場 バレない
    April 20, 2014 | 1:30 am

付け睫は付け睫と分からない範囲程度までにしてほしいな これは洒落じゃ済まないレベルキチンと賠償請求すべき

日本のメーカーが国内で承認とって、韓国の工場で生産してるのが良いよ うーん、バカに売れて格安で仕入れられる商材ってホント難しいなー… あくまで売った側、飲ませた側の責任ていう事だから
    職場 バレない´s last [type] ..職場 バレない

14. nike bot 2014
    July 7, 2014 | 6:51 am

Wow, this paragraph is nice, my sister is analyzing
    such things, so I am going to inform her.
    nike bot 2014´s last [type] ..nike bot 2014

15. Sherron
    September 6, 2014 | 10:16 am

Thanks for sharing such a good opinion, post is good,
    thats why i have read it completely
    Sherron´s last [type] ..Sherron

16. creer un calendrier
    September 21, 2014 | 11:33 pm

Please let me know if you’re looking for
    a writer for your weblog. You have some really good articles and I believe I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to
    write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to
    mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested.
    Kudos!
    creer un calendrier´s last [type] ..creer un calendrier

17. social and environmental responsibility definition…

Big Time Rush with a side of One Direction | The Music Mamas…

18. counselling psychologist
    February 5, 2015 | 10:52 pm

counselling psychologist…

Big Time Rush with a side of One Direction | The Music Mamas…

19. Deanne
    June 6, 2015 | 7:12 pm

Thе turnkey franchise provider օffers everything else, including.

Internet marketing іѕ less costly tɦan printed ads, raddio οr TV.

Ҭhis will be the best online affiliate marketing affiliate network fߋr tɦe net.
    Deanne´s last [type] ..Deanne

20. Paw Patrol (TV Program)
    July 4, 2015 | 2:38 am

My partner and I stumbled over here by a different web page and thought
    I may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to finding out about your web page yet again.
    Paw Patrol (TV Program)´s last [type] ..Paw Patrol (TV Program)

21. https://Musicbrainz.org/
    May 30, 2017 | 1:05 am

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider
    worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and
    also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
    https://Musicbrainz.org/´s last [type] ..https://Musicbrainz.org/