The Fiver

“… Are you restless like me?” That’s the refrain that’s been running through my head (FTR, it’s from “Up the Cuts” by Against Me!). I’ve been digging into music willy-nilly over here, trying to fill in some music-shaped hole that I have. Springtime is a stressful time for me, and I deal with stress through music.

So to that end, I give you a Friday Fiver a day early. Won’t you play along with me? Here’s the deal: listen to the songs, critique them like you’re Cee Lo and these songs are performers on the Voice. Give your feedback in the comments and spill your feelings on the tracks–the good, the bad & the fugly.

Then come back on Sunday to go behind the music. Come back in between too, to see how everyone else weighs in on the music. It’s rollicking good fun.

So are you ready? Without further ado…

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

7 Responses to The Fiver
    April 19, 2012 | 9:36 am

1. There is more to that man than XMas songs – I love you man.
    2. It’s not really my thang and It’s a little early for speed punk
    3. These southern gems are a new favorite of mine.
    4. I like some other goodies from these gals but this is a tad too twangy for me.
    5. You all know I love this… did a fiver for his singing partner!

April 19, 2012 | 6:55 pm

I knew you would hate #2! I love it. :)
      Yes on #5, I’ve had that song stuck in my head.

April 19, 2012 | 11:22 am

1. Love it, but the repetition got old by the end. (Liam said, “So, just get there already!”)
    2. Liam brightened up and said “Hey, is this the Dropkick Murphys”? Then after a minute “No, can’t be – they’re singing, not screaming.” LOL! (But, we give it two thumbs up.)
    3. I know you’re not expecting this from me, but didn’t like it. Liam was meh, and started humming the tune of the previous track.
    4. No. Thank you, but no.
    5. Yep. Nice! :)

April 19, 2012 | 6:57 pm

Liam was close on that one! I am surprised you don’t like #3! I like #4′s snark personally but indeed, it is a hayseed festival.

4. Scott Dunham
    April 22, 2012 | 8:25 am

Welcome back, Fiver! Let’s see what ya brung for us this week.

1- Digging it. Background vocals remind me of the Raylettes. Ooh, love the organ solo! (That doesn’t sound right…) Cool song! Just to clarify, is he coming home or not?

2- AAGH! It’s 5:07AM, dude! Why are you yelling at me? Definite Bad Religion/DKM vibe. Whoa, that was quick. Liked it okay, would like it more later in the day. Kinda formulaic in the DKM vein.

3- Nice intro. Reminds me of SRV’s Riviera Paradise. Wait, is this our girl Brittany? If it is, I like this a lot more than the single. Vocak inflectioin really reminiscent of Otis Redding, always a good thing. Didn’t like the frenetic part before the ending, really predictable. Okay, I want to hear more.

4- Agree with Kathryn on this one. For some reason I’m imagining this one being sung by large-eyed cartoon sheep in a Loony Tunes joint. Also, my parrot hates the tone of this one and is squawking so I’m going to have to move on.

5- Vocals are so compressed and so far back in the mix that when I turn it up to hear them the music’s too loud. Really sounds like Sting for a bit at the 1:35 mark. Nice idea overall but didn’t like the mix and attention started to wane towards the end.

• mari
      April 22, 2012 | 9:22 am

You guys have to know me well enough to know that if I’m involved in the fiver there will be some yelly, thrashy something-or-other!

5. Ringing in Ears
    July 28, 2012 | 10:20 pm

Great put up, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector do not understand this. You should continue your writing. I am confident, you have a great readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & aid other customers like its aided me. Great job.