Wanna go for a ride?

Well, then hop in, buckle your seat belts, and hang on! This week’s Music Monday theme is “songs about cars” and we could not be more excited. The Mamas LOVE songs about cars! Who will YOU be riding shotgun with?

Melisa’s got a Fast Car, while Ri gets 8 Miles a Gallon. Tiffani in her Little Red Corvette is racing Mari in her Hot Rod Lincoln….they meet up with Mustang Sally, aka Kathryn, and ride off into the sunset Black Sunshine (my pick, and not a song about sunshine but about a Mustang for those who don’t know), passing Lara in a Mercedes Benz along the way. We’ll end the ride by Sittin’ at a Bar waxing nostalgic with our bartender CC about how the latter isn’t technically a song about a car, but instead references the “piece of shit Nova” that got us ALL talking!

CC’s Dad had a baby blue Nova that he loved like it was a member of the family. Mari dated a boy in high school who drove a black Nova, while Lara pined for the boy across the street who also drove a black Nova (dun dun dun…..wasn’t the same boy and Nova was it, ladies?) As for me, I will always have a special place in my heart for the rumble of a V8 motor – having grown up around hot cars, trucks, and rods and owned a 74 Camaro and 79 Trans Am myself I suppose that was inevitable.

Here you go. Enjoy this week’s picks, head to Dolly‘s for more, and be sure to give us your favorite car songs in the comments!

Fast Car – Tracy Chapman

8 Miles a Gallon – Scott Miller & The Commonwealth

Hot Rod Lincoln – Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen

Little Red Corvette – Prince

Oops. No Prince vid; they’ve all been removed due to copyright infringement. But since he made someone take down a video of THEIR KIDS DANCING to one of his songs, can you really be all that surprised?

Mustang Sally – Wilson Pickett

Black Sunshine – White Zombie ft. Iggy Pop

Mercedes Benz – Janis Joplin

Happy Music Monday!

11 Responses to Wanna go for a ride?
  1. Naila Moon
    August 12, 2013 | 5:28 am

All these songs just make me happy and remember being a teen and cruising Main Street in our fair town.

Prince…yeah…ding dong!
    Naila Moon´s last [type] ..Mondays Music Moves Me…8/12/13

2. Cathy Kennedy
    August 12, 2013 | 6:40 am

I love the way you aligned your “Car” picks! Many of your tunes are new-to-me, but three of The Music Mamas selections are the same as mine. Gr8 having you on the dance floor with the 4M crew!

I Can’t Drive 55 with Janis Joplin, Wilson Pickett, & Commander Cody in the backseat!

3. becca
    August 12, 2013 | 6:50 am

nice line up had me rocking out here
    becca´s last [type] ..Haiku Monday 8-12-13

4. stevebethere
    August 12, 2013 | 7:58 am

Haven’t heard Fast Car for ages good picks this week :-)

Have a fantabulosa week :-)
    stevebethere´s last [type] ..Music Monday – Retro 21

5. Lucy
    August 12, 2013 | 11:05 am

I really love “Fast Car” and “Sittin in Bar” was new to me, really liked it.

Have a great day :)
    Lucy´s last [type] ..Summer: Cars and Water

6. A Daft Scots Lass
    August 12, 2013 | 1:13 pm

Sittin in a Bar was a wee bitty country.

But Janis completely made me day. She was so raw…
    A Daft Scots Lass´s last [type] ..Monday Music Moves me

7. Colette @JamericanSpice
    August 14, 2013 | 12:56 am

What a great list!

I love Chapman’s fast car always!

Thanks for rocking.

Just got home and trying to catch up! Aloha :)

8. Danielle Royalegacy
    August 15, 2013 | 11:15 am

Great music! Just found the time to stop on by. Sorry to be so late to enjoy your music. Have a wonderful day.
    Danielle Royalegacy´s last [type] ..Enter the Wholly Guacamole OMGuac One Lunch, Two ways Contest

August 18, 2013 | 11:14 am

<3 this, Kim! Complete awesome, made of win. XO
    Mari´s last [type] ..Let’s Do This.

10. Kayzie
    September 10, 2013 | 2:57 pm

Interesting, I have just got back from a speed awareness course (which was offered to my rather than points on my license). We talked about all the things that can make people speed and in the 80s I am old that there was an increase in the number of people going too fast as a result of the song “bat out of hell!
    Kayzie´s last [type] ..Click here

11. Looking for a high performance car? PAC Motors have prestige marque cars for sale including BMW M5 and Audi R8 cars